C1.1a Policy review report: Optimising land use to mitigate climate change in Finland
The aim of this policy review report was to gain an understanding on potential policy related obstacles and benefits and possible synergies with respect to the targets of OPAL-Life project, aiming at increased agricultural productivity and simultaneous greenhouse gas emission reduction from agriculture considering the existing policies, most notably the Common Agricultural Policy.
C1.2 Selection process of the OPAL-Life pilot farms (in Finnish, summary in English)
Working packages C2-C3: Scientific articles.
- Sorvali, J., Kaseva, J., Vainio, A., Verkasalo, M., Peltonen-Sainio, P. 2021. Value priorities of the Finnish farmers—Time to stop thinking of farmers as inherently conservative and traditional. Journal of Community & Applied Social Psychology 2021: 1-29.
- Peltonen-Sainio, P., Sorvali, J. & Kaseva, J. 2021. Finnish farmers’ views towards fluctuating and changing precipitation patterns pave the way for the future. Agricultural Water Management 255.
- Sorvali, J., Kaseva, J. & Peltonen-Sainio, P. 2021. Farmer views on climate change – a longitudinal study of threats, opportunities and action. Climatic Change 164: 50.
- Peltonen-Sainio, P. & Jauhiainen, L. 2020. Large zonal and temporal shifts in crops and cultivars coincide with warmer growing seasons in Finland. Regional Environmental Change 20: 89. (summary in Finnish)
- Peltonen-Sainio, P., Jauhiainen, L. & Latukka, A. 2020. Interactive tool for farmers to diversify high-latitude cereal-dominated crop rotations. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability. (summary in Finnish)
- Tiainen, J., Hyvönen, T., Hagner, M., Huusela-Veistola, E., Louhi, P., Miettinen, A., Nieminen, T. M., Palojärvi, A., Seimola, T., Taimisto, P., Virkajärvi, P. 2020. Biodiversity in intensive and extensive grasslands in Finland: the impacts of spatial and temporal changes of agricultural land use. Agricultural and Food Science 29: 2. (summary in Finnish)
- Purola, T. & Lehtonen, H. 2020. Evaluating profitability of soil-renovation investments under crop rotation constraints in Finland. Agricultural Systems 180: April 2020,102762. (summary in Finnish)
- Peltonen-Sainio, P., Sorvali, J. & Kaseva, J. 2019. Winds of change for farmers: matches and mismatches between experiences, views and the intention to act. Climate Risk Management 27. 2020, 100205. (summary in Finnish)
- Peltonen-Sainio, P., Jauhiainen, L., Laurila, H., Sorvali, J., Honkavaara, E., Wittke, S., Karjalainen, M., Puttonen, E. 2019. Land use optimization tool for sustainable intensification of high-latitude agricultural systems. Land Use Policy. 88, 104104.
- Ekroos, J., Tiainen, J., Seimola, T. & Herzon, I. 2019. Weak effects of farming practices corresponding to agricultural greening measures on farmland bird diversity in boreal landscapes. Landscape Ecology. 34, 389-402. (summary in Finnish)
- Peltonen-Sainio, P., Jauhiainen, L., Sorvali, J., Laurila, H., Rajala, A. 2018. Field characteristics driving farm-scale decision-making on land allocation to primary crops in high latitude conditions. Land Use Policy. 71, 49-59. (summary in Finnish)
- Peltonen-Sainio, P., Jauhiainen, L., Sorvali, J. 2017. Diversity of high-latitude agricultural landscapes and crop rotations: Increased, decreased or back and forth? Agricultural Systems. 154, 25-33. (summary in Finnish)
C2 Report on major constraints in fields targeted for extensification (in Finnish, summary in English)
C3 Report on land use optimisation implementation (in Finnish, summary in English)
C4.2c Summary of crowd sourcing results (in Finnish, summary in English)
D1.3 Report on land use optimisation actions to resilience (in Finnish, summary in English)
E1.10 A summary report on mid-term seminar (in Finnish, summary in English)
E1.12 Project brochure (PDF)
Final report of Land Use Optimisation project (PeltoOptimi) (in Finnish)